- Portland Tribune - Sports
The Beavers (20-3) have one more series before they open Pac-10 play. OSU will be at Cal Poly (13-13) in San Luis Obispo for single games Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Oregon State then travels to Arizona (14-6) for three games, March 30 and 31 and April 1. The Pac-10 home opener is April 5 against USC.
• Coach Pat Casey handed out an 8-by-10 sheet to each player before last weekend's three-game sweep of San Francisco that read, 'Competitor - Individual who has a burning desire to win in all situations. Team - Has some competitors. Great team - All members having that burning desire.' Says Casey: 'I got that when we played at Texas A and M (two weeks earlier). It's exactly what we talk about. A lot of people want to do it; I want guys who want to do it all the time.'
• Mike Stutes touched 93 mph on the radar gun as he pitched OSU to an 11-1 win over USF.
• Center fielder Chris Hopkins went 4 for 4, including a pair of infield hits and a home run, in that game. 'I'll bet you (ex-Beaver center fielder) Tyler Graham could outrun Hopkins in the 60,' Casey says. 'I don't know who'd win bag to bag, but Hopkins runs like a thoroughbred.'
• Casey says junior first baseman Jordan Lennerton, hitting .368 with 19 RBIs, is as good defensively as any player at his position in Casey's 13 years at OSU. 'Joe Gerber (1997-2000) was real good, too. So was (last year's first baseman) Bill Rowe. Billy was more of a line-drive hitter. Jordan has a chance to have more power and has way more range as a defender.'
- Kerry Eggers