- Portland Tribune - Sports
Spring practice under new coach Jerry Glanville and new offensive coordinator Mouse Davis starts April 16.
• The spring game will be May 12 at PGE Park. Glanville wants to make it a 'Fantasy Football' day; men and women who buy a season ticket could go on the field and be coached by the players.
• Glanville says he's looking forward to the season opener Sept. 1 at McNeese State in Lake Charles, La. 'I love the state of Louisiana. Great blues. The best bass players, the best guitar players,' he says. 'Lived in Baton Rouge once. We've got to hydrate. You get in the Deep South, and the humidity is as tough an opponent as the team you're playing.'
The Cowboys were 7-5 last year, losing 31-6 to Montana in the first round of the playoffs.
• During the season, Glanville wants his team to practice from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., then spend the rest of the day evaluating the workout, watching videotape and doing other preparation for that week's game. Most teams do it the other way around.
• Glanville hopes to have a weekly TV show and luncheon. PSU also is looking into possible local TV coverage of some games. And interim Athletic Director Teri Mariani says the Vikings would be a natural candidate for ESPN's 'The Season,' a show that features a behind-the-scenes look at teams from around the country.