- Portland Tribune - Sports
Hawaii coach June Jones wants to play host to Portland State as early as this season, but the Vikings' 2007 schedule is full, as of now.
New PSU coach Jerry Glanville and new offensive coordinator Darrel 'Mouse' Davis, who both came from Jones' staff, say the Rainbow Warriors will do fine without them.
'June's got that thing rollin',' Davis says. 'He won't have any problems. Just ring it up.'
Says Glanville: 'They could go undefeated. As Mouse would say, they're in for a 'spac-tacular' year.'
• The Viks plan to play their Saturday home games in the afternoon instead of at night. Kickoff times of 1:30 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. are being discussed.
• PSU is looking for sponsorship money to launch an advertising campaign that would capitalize on the momentum of the Glanville and Davis hirings as the coaches begin spring practice.
'The time to start promoting for football is right now,' says Scott Herrin, assistant athletic director for marketing and promotions.
• The Vikings will have not one, but two, wide receiver coaches for Davis' run-and-shoot. Jim Craft and Kevin Stratton have been named to handle the wideouts and slotbacks.
• Craig Ver Steeg, an assistant football coach at Rutgers who was among the candidates to replace Tim Walsh at Portland State, has been demoted from offensive coordinator to running back coach.
- Steve Brandon