The Washington County Sheriff's Office says the administrative review of the Sept. 16 shooting of Lukus Glenn validates the actions of the officers involved
by: Jonathan House, SHERIFF'S REVIEW - Washington County Chief Deputy Pat Garrett holds a knife similar to the one Lukus Glenn had when county deputies confronted him in a standoff at his parent's home Sept. 16.  The sheriff's administrative review determined that no deputies were at fault for their actions.

HILLSBORO - On Thursday, nearly seven months after the fatal shooting of Lukus Glenn, 18, in front of his parents' Metzger home, the Washington County Sheriff's Office released its administrative review of the Sept. 16 incident.

The report validates the actions of deputies Tim Mateski and Mikhail Gerba as well as that of Tigard police officer Andrew Pastore. They responded to a 9-1-1 call by Hope Glenn, the mother of the 2006 Tigard High School graduate, in which she said that her son was drunk, out of control and threatening the family, which also included Luke's father Brad and his grandmother.

The full report is several inches thick, and while the public and media have access to all the information gathered during the 'exhaustive' review, Chief Deputy Pat Garrett stressed the key points during a press conference for the media held at the sheriff's office headquarters

The conclusions reached are that the deputies were well supervised, that they had received more training than required by the state and were able to respond to the incident correctly and that their equipment worked properly.

Attorney Lawrence Peterson, who represents the Glenns, has maintained that there was no coordinated plan in place and that after Luke was struck by five beanbag rounds fired by Pastore, he staggered back toward his family in an effort to get away. As the sixth beanbag round was fired, the deputies fired their guns at Luke 11 times, hitting him with eight bullets.

'Mr. Glenn's actions dictated the deputies' actions,' Garret said. 'Mr. Glenn's anger was directed at his family.'

He added that the deputies concluded that if Luke gained entry to the house while the family was still around - and he had already kicked in the front door - the deputies feared for the family members' lives.

As Luke 'began to run toward the doorway, that was a reason to stop the dialogue,' Garrett said. 'The deputies had to safeguard the lives of the family.

'It was reasonable to expect that these people a few feet away were in danger. Mr. Glenn was loaded on caffeine and alcohol.'

According to Garrett, the deputies gave at least 50 commands to 'the highly inebriated, agitated teen' to put down the knife he was holding, but Luke did not comply…

'There were eight seconds between the first beanbag round and when the first handgun was fired - it was a clear window of time for Mr. Glenn to react,' Garrett said.

Garret used the opportunity to state that this and other incidents involving drunk teenagers ending badly shows why the law prohibits people under the age of 21 from drinking.

According to Garrett, in the 2006 calendar year, deputies responded to 404 calls dealing with violence, and they had to use force in 17 of the cases. Except for one person who committed suicide before deputies arrived, Luke Glenn was the only fatality.

'We have a high record of success,' Garrett said. 'It is unfortunate that we weren't successful in this case.'

In response to questions following his remarks, Garrett noted that in many cases, a single beanbag round is enough to make a suspect fall to the ground but in the case of Luke Glenn, five rounds striking him in the lower abdomen were not enough.

Despite the intensive investigation, Garrett said that the sheriff's office has been unable to learn where Luke got the alcohol that fateful night. He asked that anyone with information contact the sheriff's office.

Garrett further stated that the timing of the release of the investigation's conclusions was not at all related to an announcement March 8 by Peterson that the Glenn family intends to file a suit against the county, the city of Tigard and the individual officers.

'I said at the very beginning that this would take several months,' he said.

Go to top