Court documents say boy admitted shooting Vaughn

Update: Bail hearing continues next month

Multnomah County prosecutors laid out their case against accused killer 16-year-old Parrish Bennette Friday morning during a circuit court bail hearing.

The hearing ended after 5 p.m. and will continue in July.

Parrish is charged with the murder of 14-year-old Yashanee Vaughn, who police believe died on March 19. Her body has not been found.

During the morning court session, Deputy District Attorney Brian Davidson led Portland police homicide Det. Mark Slater, who investigated the case, through details of a state memorandum of law in support of denied bail that was released Thursday.

In the memorandum, prosecutors allege that Bennette admitted to his father that he shot Vaughn. According to court documents, Bennette told his father that he and Vaughn were in a bedroom in the father's home when a gun he was holding 'went off.' Parrish also admitted disposing of the girl's body.

According to the memorandum, investigators searching the father's home found blood stains under a carpet in the bedroom. DNA tests matched the blood with Vaughn's blood type.

When he was interviewed by police, Bennette denied knowing anything about Vaughn's whereabouts and suggested she might have been killed in retaliation for something done by her half-brother.

Bennette's defense attorney, Thomas McNair, raised questions about the half-brother's alleged reputation for violence.

Family concerned for girl's safety

Friday's court session began with emotional testimony from Vaughn's mother, Shaquita Lewis, who told the judge about her growing concerns for her daughter's well-being after March 19. Lewis said her daughter vanished while on the way to a friend's house. When she did not call, return phone calls or update her Facebook page for the next few days, Vaughn's family knew something had happened to her.

Bennette admitted to police that he had dinner with Vaughn at a Taco Bell on Northeast 82nd Avenue not far from his father's home on the afternoon of the day she disappeared. He told police that the girl left on her own after eating.

The courtroom was packed with members of Vaughn's family, friends and supporters. Bennette was led into the courtroom in handcuffs and seated directly in front of them.

Vaughn's uncle in the front row stood up, leaned towards Bennette and was restrained by people sitting beside him. Multnomah County sheriff's deputies rushed forward and escorted the man from the courtroom.