Religion briefs: June 25, 2011
- Gresham Outlook - Features
Agency gets grants to improve food program
Snow-CAP Community Charities has received multiple grants for the purchase of a delivery van to upgrade the agency's mobile food pantry program.
Grants include $25,000 each from Wal-Mart Foundation and the Cornerstone Church in Gresham, as well as $7,500 from Providence Foundation and Trust Management, $5,000 from Autzen Foundation and $3,500 from the Collins Foundation.
The new vehicle, a Sprinter refrigerated cargo van, will enable Snow-CAP to expand its food-box service to elementary school students and families in public housing.
Snow-CAP is a philanthropic agency created in 1967 to provide food, clothing, energy assistance, advocacy and other human services to the poor in East County.
St. Luke invites public to service
St. Luke Episcopal Church, 120 S.W. Towle Ave., will host its monthly family service at 9 a.m. Sunday, June 26. All ages are welcome.
For more information, call 503-665-9442 or visit saintlukesgresham.org.
St. Henry offers summer activities
St. Henry Catholic Church, 346 N.W. First St., offers the following activities this summer.
• Vacation Bible School from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, June 27-July 1.
Saddle Ridge Ranch is the setting for children to discover God's abundant love through scripture, crafts, music and games.
Registration packets are available at the church office, and children of all faiths are welcome.
• Celebrating 100 years as a Catholic parish community in the Gresham area, St. Henry will begin its yearlong festivities with a parish picnic on church grounds Sunday, July 13.
• Throughout the summer months, the church's youth coordinator plans a variety of fun events for junior and senior high students and their friends, including bowling, movies, laser tag, camping and more.
• You can donate blood on the third or fourth Thursday of the month at St. Henry Parish Center, which has hosted Red Cross blood drives for many years.
For more information, call 503-665-9129, visit sthenrygresham.org, or join the church on Facebook by entering 'St. Henry Catholic Church, Gresham, Oregon' in the search engine.
Lutheran Church offers Bible school
Resurrection Lutheran Church, 1700 N.E. 132nd Ave., will have an Express Rock climbing wall during its Pandamania vacation Bible school.
Children in preschool through sixth grade are welcome, from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday, July 18-22.
For more information, or to register, call 503-255-8772.