Featured Stories

Spa fire starts in dryer

by: Sam Bennett,

Lake Oswego Fire Department crews responded to a clothes dryer fire Friday at the Alyce Esthetique Day Spa at 245 B Ave. The call came in at 4:28 p.m. and fire crews arrived at 4:31 p.m. - a quick response due to the fact that the spa is less than a block from the fire department's B Avenue station. Fire Marshal Phil Sample said the proximity of the spa allowed firefighters to catch the fire early so it could not do more damage. He said there were no signs that dryer vents were clogged - which is sometimes a catalyst for clothes dryer fires. The fire likely started in the motor of the dryer, though Sample is still conducting an investigation. He did not have a damage estimate. The spa is expected to reopen on June 11. The one-alarm fire required three fire engines and one truck. B Avenue was closed for about two hours.