Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Neighbor wakes residents in burning N. Portland duplex

Several people were able to escape an early morning duplex fire Saturday after a neighbor banged on doors to awaken people in side.

Portland Fire and Rescue crews from Station 14 were called at about 4:14 a.m. June 25 to a duplex at 2010 N.E. Lombard St., where they found heavy fire on the exterior of the building. The duplex's occupants had to run from the building through only one exit, which was near the burning exterior. The duplex had bars on its rear windows, making the front sliding door the only exit.

A neighbor told firefighters that an unusual sound woke him and he looked outside and saw flames. After making sure his own family was out and safe, the man alerted people in the duplex that was on fire.

The neighbor was treated at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center because he was exposed to a large amount of smoke while trying to wake the occupants of the burning building.

Firefighters believe the fire started in an outdoor storage area and was caused by improperly discarded barbecue coals.

No estimates were provided on the amount of damage to the building.