Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Firefighters battle weekend blazes

No one hurt in three home fires

Portland firefighters responded to three residential fires on Saturday and Sunday.

In the most recent incident, firefighters responded to a fire in the attic of a single story home at 816 S.E. 142nd Ave. at 10:16 p.m. Saturday. By the time they arrived, the occupants had been evacuated and were safe. The fire was quickly extinguished by crews from Station 7 and other nearby stations.

The cause of this fire was electrical. This fire caused an estimated $50,000 damage to the home and contents.

Earlier in the evening, at approximately 7:00 p.m., firefighters were called to 4324 S.E. Madison St. to extinguish a fire caused by improperly discarded barbecue ash. Firefighters arrived to find fire extending up the wall of a duplex to the roof. All occupants were out of the apartment by the time firefighters arrived and no one was injured.

Battling the fire was challenging because it was burning in the attic. Firefighters were forced to tear down the interior ceiling and cut into the roof of the apartments to ensure it was out. Firefighters from Station 9 were able to quickly extinguish the blaze with the help of other nearby stations.

The occupants of the apartment stated that they had disposed of the briquette ash in a garbage can that was stored on the side of the house. Some occupants were displaced by the blaze. Damage estimates were not immediately available.

Prior to that, firefighters extinguished another apartment fire caused by barbeque ash. The arrived at a duplex at 2010 N.E. Lombard St. at about 4:14 a.m. Saturday and found heavy fire o the exterior of the building. A neighbor had awakened the residents, who ran through the building to escape. The neighbor was treated at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters believe the fire started in an outdoor storage aea and was caused by barbeque coals. A damage estimate was not immediately available.