Early morning shots twice shatter windows in Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood

by: Courtesy Portland Police Bureau 33-year-old Harold Deandre Jones, arrested in the June 19th S.E. Lafayette Court shooting, charged with Attempted Murder.

Not far from the Creston-Kenilworth U.S. Post Office, the quiet of the early morning hours was shattered by the sound of gunfire and breaking glass.

It happened about 4:30 a.m. on Friday, June 3rd, reported Portland Police Bureau Public Information Officer Lt. Robert King.

'Portland Police East Precinct officers responded to the area of S.E. 50th Avenue and Rhone Street,' King said. 'There were reports of gunshots being fired, and the sound of a vehicle speeding away.'

At first, police weren't able to locate any victims or evidence of gunfire, added King. 'Officers responded to a residence, and began to process evidence and interview the occupants of the house. They found five bullet holes in the house, but learned that nobody was injured.'

No suspect information is available at this time, King said. 'The shooting may be gang-related, so the Gang Enforcement Team is investigating.'

At deadline we checked with King; he affirmed that there is no new information on that case available.

Meantime, at 3:54 am on Sunday, June 19th, officers werre called out, again by the report of gunshots - 14 blocks west of the previous shooting, in the 3800 block of S.E. Lafayette Court, which is a block west of S.E. 39th (Chavez) and a block south of Powell Boulevard, in the Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood.

'Officers arrived in the area, and located a residence with several bullet holes in the front window,' King later reported. 'Officers checked the residents for injuries, and learned that four adults were inside the house and that none were injured. A total of 16 rounds were fired into the house.'

Gang Enforcement detectives responded and began an investigation into the shooting, King added. But, residents of the bullet-ridden house emphatically stated to the media that they had no ties to gangs.

'Within minutes of the shooting,' King continued, 'East Precinct patrol officers stopped a vehicle at S.E. 60th Avenue and Powell Boulevard that they later learned was the suspect vehicle.'

Through the investigation, the detectives were able to recover the firearm used in the shooting, an SKS semi-automatic assault rifle, noted King. 'Detectives learned that the shooting stemmed from a dispute over a car prowl.'

Later that day, Portland Police Gang Enforcement Detectives said that they had arrested 33-year-old Harold Deandre Jones for Attempted Murder in connection with the second shooting.

According to MCDC records, Jones is being held in Multnomah County Inverness Jail on charges of Attempted Murder - a Class A Felony carrying $250,000 bail - as well as Felon in Possession of a Firearm, and Unlawful Use of a Weapon.

Multnomah County and the United States Marshall's office have also issued holds against Jones.