Lake Oswego Library Friends give $23,945
The Friends of the Lake Oswego Public Library have given $23,945 in funds to the Library to be used in the following manner:
* Encyclopedia Britannica ($2,000) - to purchase the latest edition of this major reference
* 'In Their Own Words' Tape Preservation ($5,000) - This grant will transfer existing oral histories of Lake Oswego to a CD format before the tapes deteriorate beyond the point of repair.
* Local History Project ($6,000) -This grant allows the continuation of the process of preserving and cataloging of historical Lake Oswego materials.
* Third Tuesday Author Series ($1,500) - This grant allows the continuation of the Friends of the Library-sponsored Third Tuesday Author's Series.
* Books for Babies ($2,500) - This grant continues the program intended on fostering a love of books at an early age and aids development of children's literacy. A bag of four or five baby books and an adult book are given to families of newborns.
* Holiday Program of Poinsettia Day ($1,000) - This grant celebrates National Poinsettia Day on Dec. 12 with music, cider, coffee, cookies and, of course, poinsettias. Special holiday music by Dick Saunders and a presentation on poinsettias is included.
* Kick-Off Party for Lake Oswego Reads ($1,000) - This grant provides for party Jan. 8, 2008, where 800 copies of this year's selection, 'Three Cups of Tea,' will be distributed. There will be tea, music and food from Pakistan.
* Special Shows for Youth ($4,000) - This grant continues the important program that includes the Children's Second Saturday guest performances, musical lap times for babies, art classes and teen activities.
* Cultural Passes ($945) - This grant continues to provide passes to many local cultural activities.
Funds for these gifts are generated by sales from the Booktique, Friends of the Library's used bookstore, in Mercantile Plaza. Volunteers operate the store.