City acquires land for fire station add
The Lake Oswego City Council Tuesday approved the purchase of property on South Shore Boulevard for use by the fire department.
The fire department will spend about $280,000 on the property, which is at 1876 South Shore. It is adjacent to the existing Station 212.
The fire department needs the property for a new or rebuilt Station 212. Officials don't have a cost estimate yet for those improvements.
The property had been on the market since Aug. 8 and has a 2,200-square-foot single-family home, which will be torn down. It was listed by RE/MAX at $350,000.
The 10,000-square-foot lot is surrounded entirely by city property and city right-of-way. A city water reservoir is to the east and South Shore Boulevard right-of-way to the north.
The current fire station site is constrained by its size, and acquiring the adjacent residential property would meet the operational needs for the station, according to fire department officials.
Station 212 was built in 1971 on a 21,000-square-foot lot and is the oldest of the city's four fire stations.
Problems with the current station include inadequate vehicle and apparatus storage; the electrical system and backup power are in poor condition; portions of the roof need to be replaced; the HVAC system needs to be upgraded and/or replaced; living areas lack privacy and accommodations for men and women; and it needs ADA upgrades.
In addition, fire officials say there is limited storage space and run-off from vehicle washing goes to the lake or sewer system.
The larger site will mean adequate fire apparatus storage bays, drive-through bays for fire apparatus, faster reflex/response time, space for meeting fire program requirements and for a community meeting room and an opportunity for enhanced landscaping along South Shore.
The property slopes about 10 feet. Excavation would be required to bring the property to grade with the Station 212 property.
The purchase is contingent on the city receiving a title report.
Northwest Oregon Conference