Police say Gresham woman's death was accidental
- Ben Myers
- Gresham Outlook - News
UPDATE: Smoke inhalation cause of death in apartment fire
Gresham police said the death of a 56-year-old woman whose body was found Saturday morning in her Northwest Wallula Avenue apartment was accidental.
Firefighters responding to a call about heavy smoke coming from the apartment at 1167 N.W. Wallula Ave. found Janet Campbell's body in the dwelling.
Nothing was burning when firefighters arrived, but the windows were charred. Firefighters forced entry after using a thermal detector to confirm excessive heat in the apartment.
Campbell lived in the apartment with her 17-year-old son, who was not at home at the time.
Fire investigators believe a fire started in a living room chair, probably touched off by a cigarette or a candle.
The state medical examiners' office said Campbell died of smoke inhalation.