The Times, July 13, 2006

Daniel Wayne Allen

March 11, 1962 - July 4, 2006

Services will be held later for Daniel Wayne Allen, 44, of Beaverton, who died July 4.

Born March 11, 1962, in Tacoma, Wash., he received his early education in Poulsbo, Wash., and graduated from North Kitsap High School. He moved from Concord, Calif., to Oregon in 1990.

In 1986 he married Diane Williams, who survives him.

A computer programmer, he had worked for Nike.

He attended Southwest Bible Church in Beaverton.

Surviving in addition to his wife Diane of Beaverton is mother Hannelore Allen of Poulsbo; sister Bridgette Allen of Poulsbo; brothers Pat of Poulsbo, Mike of Pittsburg, Calif., and David of Puyallup, Wash.; plus five nieces and nephews.

His father Harold preceded him in death in 1999.

Fir Lawn Mortuary in Hillsboro is in charge of arrangements.

Contributions in memory of Daniel Wayne Allen may be made to Veterans of Foreign Wars, 400 Bonen Ave., Seattle, Wash.

Ruth V. Bowen

June 4, 1914 - July 8, 2006

Ruth V. Bowen died Saturday at age 92.

She was born June 4, 1914, in Bethlehem, Conn. After graduating from college with a degree in home economics, she moved to the Portland area.

She was a dietitian for a VA medical center.

A memorial service was held Tuesday in Tigard United Methodist Church.

Arrangements were by Heritage Memorial.

Priscilla Grace Duncan

Oct. 30, 1900 - June 21, 2006

Native Oregonian Priscilla Grace Duncan died June 21 of pneumonia at age 105.

Mrs. Duncan, whose maiden name was Eakin, was born Oct. 30, 1900, in Astoria. She graduated from the University of Oregon and was a records librarian for Emanuel Hospital in Portland before moving in 1938 to Seattle. Most recently she lived in Des Moines, Wash.

In 1938 she married Gordon A. Duncan. He died in 1987.

Survivors include daughter Priscilla Stephenson; son Gordon A. Duncan Jr.; five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

A memorial service was held Saturday in Calvin Presbyterian Church in Tigard.

Donations in memory of Priscilla Grace Duncan may be made to Lake Burien Presbyterian Church in Burien, Wash.

Donald Meyer

April 19, 1922 - July 6, 2006

Lifelong Tigard resident Donald Meyer died July 6.

Funeral services will be held Friday, July 14, at 11 a.m. at Tigard Christian Church, 13405 S.W. Hall Blvd.

Mr. Meyer was born April 19, 1922, on Meyer Lane in Tigard to Otto Henry Meyer and Josephine Meyer, whose maiden name was Nygren.

Otto Henry and his brother Herman came to the Tigard area in 1880 and, as one of the early pioneers of Tigard, homesteaded almost 40 acres of land off Beef Bend Road. It is this land on which Donald Meyer has spent his entire life.

He graduated from Tigard High School in 1940.

During World War II he served in the Army in Japan from 1945 to 1946.

In 1945 he married June Lorraine Jack.

Before and after the war he farmed the family's homestead and logged in the Tillamook forest before beginning employment with the state of Oregon Highway Department, from which he retired after 31 years.

He enjoyed gardening, spending time with his family and with his friends at Davidson's Casual Dining, where he enjoyed his daily morning bowl of oatmeal.

He was a member of Tigard Christian Church.

In later years he was able to enjoy traveling with his son to various international destinations.

He was preceded in death by his wife June; father and mother; and six siblings.

Survivors include his only son Donald Meyer Jr., brother and sister-in-law Alvin Henry and Ingrid Meyer; plus numerous nieces and nephews.

Donations in memory of Donald Meyer may be made to the Tigard Historical Association, 10310 S.W. Canterbury Lane, Tigard 97224.

Allison Jean Morris

Nov. 22, 1979 - July 10, 2006

After a battle with leukemia, Allison Jean Morris died Monday in Salt Lake City. She was 26.

A funeral service will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Provo, Utah, Stake Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Born Allison Jean Spackman Nov. 22, 1979, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, she spent her early years in Urbana, Ill., Minneapolis, Minn., and Hanover, N.H.

She moved to Tualatin in 1989, attended Twality Middle School and Tualatin High School, graduating in 1998. She majored in communications at Brigham Young University, graduating in 2002.

In 2002 she married Jason C. Morris of Reno, Nev., and was employed at the Dan Peterson School in American Fork, Utah, until the birth of her daughter Mckenna in 2005.

In addition to her daughter and husband of Provo, she is survived by her parents, Kent and Donna Spackman; siblings David, Abby and Anne of Tualatin; grandparents Fred and Clara Spackman of Cardston, Alberta, and Ron and Jean Passey of Magrath, Alberta.

Her brother Daniel and grandmother Rowena Proctor Spackman preceded her in death.

Contributions in memory of Allison Jean Morris may be made to the Allison Morris Donation Account at Zion's Bank, P.O. Box 69, Provo, Utah 84603.

Timothy Jay Ness

Sept. 28, 1962 - June 30, 2006

Native Oregonian Timothy Jay Ness, 43, of Tigard died June 30.

He was the fourth child born to Harold and Doris Ness on Sept. 28, 1962, in Portland.

He lived his entire life in the Tigard area and graduated from Tigard High School in 1980.

He learned restaurant and chef skills immediately after high school with LeCurie French restaurant in downtown Tigard. He also learned printing skills, once had his own printing press and owned a business called Advertising Plus.

In 1988 he became the owner of DeNicola's Pizza Annex in the Metzger area and later changed the name to DeNona's Pizza. For 14 years he loved serving his customers and personally knew many of them. His most recent self-employment venture was with Ecoquest International, selling air purification.

In November 1992 he married Linda Nance and had an instant family with two stepchildren, Kenneth and Andrea Nance. Within three years he and his wife were blessed with son Daniel and daughter Christina to add to their clan.

Mr. Ness was a very active and enthusiastic person. He loved playing with his children, whether bike riding, skateboarding, swimming or playing racquetball, to name a few. Playing rock music (loudly) on his electric guitar was one of his favorite pastimes.

Around 1990 he became a born-again Christian and passionately pursued his faith for the rest of his life. He studied his Bible regularly and had great ability to remember scripture.

In addition to his wife and children, survivors include his mother Doris; brother Russell; and sisters Jerralynn and Beverly.

His father Harold died in January 2001.

A memorial service celebrating the life of Timothy Jay Ness was held Friday in Tualatin Foursquare Church.

Young's Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

Mark William Phillips

Oct. 3, 1964 - June 21, 2006

Mark William Phillips, a Tualatin resident and youth minister of Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Lake Oswego, suffered a fatal heart attack June 21 while on a mission trip in Baton Rouge, La., with his youth group. He was 41.

He was born on Oct. 3, 1964, in Los Angeles.

He spent 12 years as a member of the New York Air National Guard and the Oregon Air National Guard and finished his duty in 2002 as a staff sergeant, with many honors and medals to his credit.

In 1995 he met his future wife Marissa in Salem. They moved to Tualatin in 1996 and were married in 1997. Son David was born in 1998.

Mr. Phillips had a successful career as a production/warehouse manager for local companies, including Office Depot and Advanced Materials and as a distribution manager for Hollywood Video.

He was a member of the Tualatin Kiwanis Club and loved golfing and bowling. He was an active member of several leagues at the Wilsonville Lanes, spending one season with his son. He also bowled at the state and national level. He was a member of the Pacific Coast Rover Club, spending a lot of time off-roading, camping and working on his beloved D-90.

In 2000 he and his wife started Cascade First Aid/CPR Training, LLC, an onsite corporate safety training business. He was a certified trainer through Medic First Aid International in First Aid/CPR, automated external defibrillators, blood borne pathogens, and carried many OSHA safety certifications. He was a well-liked instructor, often hearing 'Hey CPR Guy' called out at local events.

He and his family were active members of Our Savior's Lutheran Church in Lake Oswego. He became a volunteer leader for the HS Ministry known as the Great Commission Sub Committee in 2002. During this time, his love for the students grew, and there was no way to separate him from them. His outgoing personality, goofy sense of humor and 'been there, done that' attitude earned him love and respect from the youth and adults alike.

In 2004 he was asked to take on the position as HS youth director. During his time at OSLC he took students to Atlanta, Reno/Lake Tahoe, California, Mexico, Seattle, numerous local events and most recently Louisiana.

In October 2005 he attended Trinity Lutheran College in Issaquah, Wash., where he completed his certification of youth ministry through Wartburg Seminary. While there, he heard of the ongoing need in the Hurricane Katrina stricken areas. He returned from school with a fire in his heart, and although there were many objections and concerns, he led a successful trip to the New Orleans area.

In February this year he traveled to Les Anglais, Haiti, on a medical mission with Our Savior's Lutheran Church and Reciprocal Ministries International. He was the first white person to visit one beach village, and the children touched his heart in a strong way, so strong that he planned on moving his family to Haiti in two or three years to continue the Lord's work.

Although he died during a performance of his choir, the group chose to remain for the remainder of the week and finish out the work that he had wanted them to do.

On June 28 a service to celebrate the life of Mark William Phillips was held at Our Savior's Lutheran Church. He was surrounded and praised by more than 300 people, including the youth he loved so much.

In addition to his wife Marissa, survivors include their 8-year-old son David; sister Lynn; three nieces in California; his mother Katherine in Thousand Oaks, Calif.; his Aunt Donna and her three sons in Turner; and cousin Mike and family in Portland. In addition, there are more than 300 youth in the area who have served with him during the past four years and many Haitian children who will forever remember 'Pastor Mark.'

The Mark Phillips Memorial Fund has been set up at any Sterling Savings Bank. Checks may be sent to the family at 21781 S.W. Chehalis Courtt, Tualatin 97062. The funds will assist the family in needed home repairs expenses as Mrs. Phillips has been a stay-at-home mother, and in a trust fund for son David.

Robert M. Ritchie

Aug. 4, 1958 - July 3, 2006

Robert M. Ritchie of Aloha died July 3 at age 47.

Born Aug. 4, 1958, in Bardstown, Ky., he lived in Kentucky, Florida and Ohio before moving to Oregon in 2003.

He was director of Internal Controls at Xerox.

In 1979 he married Carolyn England, who survives him.

He is also survived by daughters Laurie Ritchie Morgan and Ruth Ann Ritchie plus six siblings.

A memorial gathering took place Friday at Cornelius Pass Roadhouse in Hillsboro.

Donations in memory of Robert M. Ritchie may be made to the Natural Resources Defense Council.

Springer and Son Aloha Funeral Home and Crematory handled arrangements.

Robert Lee Schauss

April 4, 1949 - July 4, 2006

Native Oregonian Robert Lee Schauss of Tigard died July 4 of cancer. The resident of the Aloha-Tigard area for 26 years was 57.

A celebration of his life will take place Saturday at 1 p.m., at the home of Cheryl, Brannon and Marcus Schauss, 12990 S.W. Tearose Way in Tigard.

Mr. Schauss was born April 4, 1949, in Portland.

He served in the Army and Army Reserves, where he was a diesel mechanic.

In 1980 he married Cheryl Bramlett.

Survivors include sons Brannon and Marcus; friend and former wife Cheryl Schauss; sisters Carol North, Ruth Menske, Mary Price and Bonnie Martindale; brother Don Kowalkowski; and granddaughter Alexus Peterson-Schauss.

Donations in memory of Robert Lee Schauss may be made to Portland VA Hospice - VNSCV.

Springer and Son Aloha Funeral Home and Crematory handled arrangements.

Hanako Yuasa

Feb. 20, 1917 - July 6, 2006

Hanako Yuasa, 89, of Tigard died July 6.

She was born Feb. 20, 1917, in Seattle. She moved to Japan at age 4 and was reared and educated in Japan, graduating from Shujitsu High School in Okayama.

Following her marriage to Tamaichi Yuasa, she and her husband moved to Parkdale, where they lived until World War II when the family was interned at Tule Lake Relocation Camp.

Following the war they returned to Japan, then moved to Gresham in 1958, to Portland in 1988 and to Tigard in 1996.

She was a member of the Minori-Kai Church and the Japanese Ancestral Society Fujin-Kai.

She was preceded in death by her husband in 1990.

Surviving are son Minoru Yuasa of Vancouver, Wash.; daughters Kiyoko Nigo of Portland, Hideko Kajimura of Fife, Wash., Terumi Fugami of Kirkland, Wash., Keeko Takesue of Cerritos, Calif., and Judy Imai of Tigard; brother Kenjiro Hayakawa of Montebello, Calif.; plus 13 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

A funeral service was held Wednesday at Riverview Abbey Funeral Home Chapel.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine