Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


'Bumped' stove leaves three families homeless

by: PHOTO COURTESY: CLACKAMAS FIRE DISTRICT NO. 1 - Clackamas Fire District No. 1 crews respond to a Wednesday night apartment fire near the Clackamas Town Center.Clackamas Fire District No. 1 personnel determined that Wednesday night’s apartment fire was a result of someone accidentally bumping a stove’s control knob to the “ON” position when the stove had combustible material on it.

At 10:22 p.m. on Feb. 6, multiple tenants of the Town Center Station Apartments, 8719 S.E. Monterey Ave., began calling 911 to report a fire in the building.

Clackamas Fire crews arrived to find heavy black smoke from the second story and quickly went to work to locate and confine the fire. Upon making entry, crews were able to identify the room of origin, however the fire had already been extinguished by a built-in sprinkler system. Firefighters then performed salvage and overhaul to reduce damage to the building contents, and ventilation to remove the dangerous smoke and gases from the structure. No injuries were reported as all occupants evacuated safely.

Three units remained uninhabitable, and Red Cross worked with firefighters to provide temporary housing for those displaced. Damage estimates to the building and contents were not immediately available.

“Clackamas Fire would like to remind people to keep combustible material away from the stove top at all times,” said spokesman Brandon Paxton. “The fire in this case was contained to a single unit due to early detection and the sprinkler system activating. Had this sprinkler system not been in place there was potential for the damage to be far worse.”




Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

59°F

Clackamas

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 75%

Wind: 8 mph

  • 26 Nov 2014

    Rain Late 59°F 52°F

  • 27 Nov 2014

    AM Light Rain 57°F 52°F