Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Girl, 7, wakes Oak Grove family to fire

by: PHOTO COURTESY: CLACKAMAS FIRE DISTRICT NO. 1 - No much is left of this Oak Grove family's dryer after a fire ravaged it on March 17.In Oak Grove, fire safety begins at age 7.

On the morning of St. Patrick's Day, two adult homeowners were woken by their 7-year-old daughter knocking on their bedroom door to notify them of heavy smoke filling their Oak Grove home at 2590 S.E. Walnut St.

The father, who was soundly sleeping, then realized there was a fire in the house. He wisely got all four occupants out, including the family dog, and dialed 911 at 2:12 a.m., said Jed Walker, spokesman for Clackamas Fire District No. 1.

Firefighters quickly contained and extinguished the relatively small fire that started in the clothes dryer, and ventilated the two-story home that was charged with poisonous smoke.

Although there were no working smoke alarms in the residence, smart actions and decisions allowed this incident to have a happy ending, Walker added.

Preliminary estimates of damages to the home are $20,000.



Local Weather

Cloudy

74°F

Clackamas

Cloudy

Humidity: 43%

Wind: 5 mph

  • 2 Sep 2014

    Partly Cloudy 76°F 54°F

  • 3 Sep 2014

    Mostly Sunny 75°F 53°F