Daily News Where you Live
Fishy fire damages Milwaukie restaurant
Just after 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning a Milwaukie police officer patrolling the Milwaukie Marketplace parking lot reported a fire on the outside of the McGraths Fish House, 11050 S.E. Oak St.
Clackamas Fire District No. 1 crews said they quickly arrived to find a small fire on the exterior of the building and went to work to extinguish it and confine it to the exterior wall. Using large fans, they ventilated light smoke that had traveled throughout the building. No injuries were reported, and the restaurant was not open for business at the time of the fire.
Fire investigators were on scene and have concluded that the fire started from improperly discarded ashes that were placed to close to the combustible wood siding. Damage to the building has been estimated at $15,000 to $20,000.
Rick Bates, the manager on duty Tuesday morning said that McGraths would try to open by 5 p.m.; the restaurant usually opens for lunch at 11 a.m.
Clackamas Fire would like to remind you to be careful when discarding ashes, said Clackamas Fire spokesman Brandon Paxton. Place them in a non-combustible container of water to let them cool prior to placing them in the trash.