Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Fire district awards quick-thinking girl

by: PHOTO COURTESY: CLACKAMAS FIRE DISTRICT NO. 1 - No much is left of this Oak Grove family's dryer after a fire ravaged it on March 17.On Monday, April 15, Clackamas Fire will be presenting 7-year-old Alexus Osburn with a "Citizen Life Saving Award," for her actions on March 17, when she calmly woke her father in the middle of the night to tell him that the house was filling with smoke as a result of a dryer fire.

Fire-district officials credit her quick thinking and calm demeanor as enabling her entire family, including her dog, to escape unharmed.

Firefighters quickly contained and extinguished the relatively small fire that started at at 2590 S.E. Walnut St., and ventilated the two-story home that was charged with poisonous smoke.

Although there were no working smoke alarms in the residence, smart actions and decisions allowed this incident to have a happy ending, said Jed Walker, spokesman for the firefighters on scene.

The award will be presented at Clackamas Fire’s regularly scheduled Board of Directors meeting at 7 p.m. at Mt. Scott Station #5, 9339 S.E. Causey Ave., Happy Valley.




Local Weather

Light Rain

56°F

Clackamas

Light Rain

Humidity: 75%

Wind: 12 mph

  • 17 Apr 2014

    Light Rain Early 54°F 42°F

  • 18 Apr 2014

    Partly Cloudy 62°F 41°F