Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Fire destroys house in Gladstone


A man accidently destroyed his house on Monday while trying to smoke out rats, according to the Gladstone Fire Department.

Firefighters responded on June 24 at 9:47 a.m. to a report of a house fire at 400 W. Exeter to find a fully involved attached-garage fire. Fire extended into the house causing extensive damage, estimated around $150,000.

Firefighters contained the blaze in about 20 minutes with no injuries to department volunteers or the adult couple who resided there, according to Lt. Kirk Stempel, GFD spokeman.

“Cause was determined to be from a flare-type device meant to kill small rodents placed too near combustibles,” Stempel said.

Local Weather

Light Freezing Rain/Windy



Light Freezing Rain/Windy

Humidity: 78%

Wind: 29 mph

  • 1 Dec 2015

    Rain 42°F 34°F

  • 2 Dec 2015

    PM Showers 47°F 45°F