Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Woman's Club dedicates bench

To commemorate the one-year anniversary of the death of a tenacious community volunteer, the Oregon City Woman’s Club dedicated a bench at the Stevens Crawford House, a museum at Sixth Avenue and Washington Street, on Sept. 12.

The organization honored the memory of Irma Sullivan, a longtime Oregon City resident, elementary school teacher and past president of the club.

by: PHOTO BY: RAYMOND RENDLEMAN - Members of the Oregon City Womans Club sit on the bench they dedicated to Irma Sullivan at the Stevens Crawford House.After the reading of a poem, “Garden Meditation,” Sullivan was remembered as an energetic advocate. Some club members joked that she would find it ironic to be honored with a bench. Author of a booklet titled “Early Oregon City,” Sullivan had been friends with Mertie Stevens (1872-1968), who had lived in her family home for 60 years and left the fully furnished house to the Clackamas County Historical Society upon her death.

“Irma was a warm-hearted woman who just got things done,” said Patty Brown, who had been a fellow CCHS board member and her longtime neighbor.

In 1903, the Woman’s Club formed for the Lewis and Clark Exposition and advocated for saving the McLoughlin House by moving it up the hill. Each year the club donates funds to about a dozen organizations, and its annual auction takes place from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at the OC Elks Club.




Local Weather

Fair

80°F

Clackamas

Fair

Humidity: 32%

Wind: 8 mph

  • 22 Aug 2014

    Clear 79°F 57°F

  • 23 Aug 2014

    Sunny 88°F 59°F