Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



Estacada gets to within a point in the final seconds of loss to Banks High

by: ESTACADA NEWS: DAVID BALL - Estacadas Alec Barstad dribbles around Banks defender Garrett Markham during the Braves 51-49 win Friday night. PORTLAND — The Estacada boys basketball team battled back from a seven-point deficit in the late stages Friday night, but couldn’t get their hands on the ball for a chance to force overtime during a 51-49 loss to Banks High in a game played at the Moda Center.

The Braves carried a slim lead most of the way and found themselves ahead 48-41 after center Dallin Shurts hit back-to-back shots down low as the clock rolled to under four minutes.

But Estacada put together a final charge with Chris Smith connecting on a pull-up jumper from the edge of the free-throw line before racing to the defensive end and drawing a charging foul on Shurts that sent the Braves’ big target to the bench.

The Rangers closed the gap further after Kyle Beguelin swished a 3 from the corner. Banks answered with a pair of free throws, but Estacada stayed within reach when Doug Kirchhofer scrambled to pick a pass off his shoes, recovering in time to send a short jumper over the front of the rim.

The hustle play brought the Rangers within 50-48 with 26.1 seconds left.

Estacada put on a full-court press, and the Braves panicked to get the ball over the half-court line. The Rangers’ Alec Barstad left his feet to intercept a long pass, and Smith was fouled on his way to the hoop. The Rangers senior made his first free throw, but the second try bounced off the rim.

Estacada was within a point with 10.8 seconds left, but wouldn’t touch the ball again until it was too late.

Needing to foul to stop the clock, Estacada sent Banks guard Garrett Markham to the line. He made 1 of 2, but the Rangers couldn’t corral the miss. Instead, Keaton DeLonge jumped high and knocked the ball out to the perimeter where teammate Devin King clamped onto it and waited to be fouled.

He came up empty of both of his tries, but Markham was on the spot for the rebound.

The ball was eventually poked loose along the baseline, but by the time the Rangers could gain possession they had time only for a full-court heave that came up far short.

“We get the misses we needed, but they grab the offensive boards and that can’t happen,” Rangers coach Kevin Kirchhofer said. “But our guys didn’t give up — they played hard to the end.”

Barstad led the team with 14 points, while Beguelin put in 12.

Estacada fell to 2-5 on the season heading into a 7 p.m. home game against Yamhill-Carlton on Saturday. The Rangers also host Corbett at 7 p.m. Monday.

Estacada kept pace early in the game when Jacob Johnson avoided a double-team at halfcourt and fired a pass to Beguelin, who quickly played the ball inside to Kirchhofer for a layin.

The Rangers found themselves within 17-14 early in the second quarter after Beguelin hit the first of his pair of 3-pointers on the night — treys that came from NBA range on the Trailblazers home court.

View a photo gallery from the game at ...


Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine