Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



File shows jailed ex-cop took required, prescribed courses in Hillsboro

by: COURTESY PHOTO - Forest Grove's Timothy Cannon, shown in his Hillsboro Police Department uniform, resigned from his job last month. He is in the Washington County Jail awaiting trial. The professional training Timothy Cannon received during more than a decade of service with the Hillsboro Police Department did not foreshadow his volatile behavior the evening of Jan. 20, when he engaged in a shootout with fellow officers after allegedly assaulting his wife in their Forest Grove home.

Several dozen pages from the jailed ex-cop's training file — showing he successfully completed courses in domestic violence, sexual harassment, mental health and the use of firearms and defensive tactics — were released by his former agency Tuesday afternoon.

"Nothing in there could have helped us predict what happened," said Lt. Mike Rouches, public information officer for Hillsboro Police. "He didn't have issues with a bad attitude or not learning, things that would have been red flags for us.

"Tim had the adequate and prescribed training to do his work as a patrol officer."

The only blemish on what appears to be an otherwise unremarkable training record is Cannon's disclosure on his certification application that he had been arrested for disorderly conduct while he was a student at the University of Montana in Missoula in 1985. He spent a night in jail, pled guilty and paid a fine, records show.

Oregon's Department of Public Safety Standards and Training certified Cannon as a police officer in January 2000. Rouches, who rarely crossed paths with Cannon, said other cops who knew him better were still scratching their heads.

"The fact that he chose to cross the line is a 'wish we would have known' kind of thing," said Rouches. "Those close to Tim were really surprised."

He added that until the night of his arrest, Cannon had held "a job in good standing" with HPD. "He wasn't on some road out the door," Rouches said.

Interviews and forensic reports connected to the 80-minute-long incident — considered the most volatile officer-involved standoff in recent memory — have not yet been completed, Capt. Mike Herb of the Forest Grove Police Department said Monday.

Cannon, 46, who resigned from his job Jan. 22, remains in the Washington County Jail on multiple charges of attempted aggravated murder for allegedly trying to kill several officers during the incident more than three weeks ago.

He faces an initial trial date of March 19 in Washington County Circuit Court in Hillsboro. Chief Deputy District Attorney Roger Hanlon will lead the prosecution.

Wife back at FGPD

Tim Cannon's wife, Lisa Cannon, called 9-1-1 that night to report a domestic disturbance at their home in The Parks neighborhood near Forest Grove High School. She hid in an upstairs bathroom with the couple's six-year-old daughter until her heavily-armed husband eventually was taken into custody.

Herb said Lisa Cannon has returned to her job at the Forest Grove Police Department, where she is a support-unit supervisor.

Ten officers from three agencies — Washington County, Hillsboro and Forest Grove — who responded to the emergency call at the Cannon home and were later found to have discharged their weapons, were placed on administrative leave last month. All are back on the job, including Hillsboro Officer Stephen Slade, who documents show urged Cannon to surrender after the incident escalated.

Another Hillsboro officer, Sgt. Dave White, who was on scene in a lesser role and did not fire his weapon, is also back on the job after a leave, according to Rouches.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine