Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Smoke alarm saves elderly woman

Cornelius house fire caused by stove


A 91-year-old Cornelius woman woke up to the buzzing of a smoke detector last Thursday, Feb. 20, and found her living room full of smoke and the ceiling on fire.

The woman said she was in bed when she heard the smoke alarm around 1 p.m. When she saw the fire, she left the house and called 911.

Responders from Washington County Fire District 2’s Midway Station and Hillsboro Fire & Rescue responded to the home on Southwest Par Three Drive and were able to extinguish the fire.

The cost to repair damage is still undetermined but the fire damage was limited to the area around a stove, officials said.

The fire investigator believes inadequate spacing and outdated insulative materials were the cause of the fire.

The single smoke alarm was properly located just outside the sleeping quarters of the home, giving the woman enough notice to escape.

The Washington County Fire District recommends placing working smoke alarms outside of sleeping areas on every level inside your home.



Local Weather

Fair

89°F

Forest Grove

Fair

Humidity: 32%

Wind: 6 mph

  • 27 Aug 2014

    Sunny 88°F 58°F

  • 28 Aug 2014

    Mostly Sunny 84°F 56°F