Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Gaston dryer fire self-extinguishes with water pipe

A single-home fire in the 30000 block of Laurelwood Road in Gaston displaced a family of two adults and two pets Wednesday evening, June 15.

The fire was relatively small, said David Nemeyer, public information officer for Forest Grove Fire & Rescue, which responded along with the Gaston Rural Fire District.

Officials believe the fire started in a clothes dryer in the basement. The heat from that fire was hot enough to melt a water pipe, which ended up extinguishing most of the fire, Nemeyer said.

The homeowner came home to find his basement full of smoke and used a fire extinguisher to put out the rest of the fire.

The Red Cross Cascades Region responded to the fire and provided temporary housing, food, clothing, comfort kits, information about recovery services, and health and mental health services.