Local events for May 2, 2012
THURSDAY, MAY 3
• Elks Bingo - 6:30 p.m., Gresham Elks Lodge, 3330 N.E. Division St. Members and guests welcome. Call 503-666-1805.
FRIDAY, MAY 4
• Circus Carnival - 5-8 p.m., Fairview Elementary School, 225 Main St., Fairview. Features include carnival games, a bouncy house, a cake walk, food and refreshments, face painting and more. Call 503-667-2954.
• Friday Night Basketball - 7:30-9:30 p.m., Walt Morey Middle School, 2801 S.W. Lucas Drive, Troutdale. Free basketball games for ages 12 to 17; sponsored by Troutdale Recreation and supervised by Troutdale police. Participants must bring photo identification and be dressed to play.
SATURDAY, MAY 5
• Powell Valley Garden Club Plant Sale - 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Powell Valley Covenant Church, 1335 S.E. 282nd Ave. Shop for trees, shrubs and plants. Raffle tickets are $1 each or six for $5. Proceeds benefit Barlow High scholarships and other charities.
• Sandy River Float - 9 a.m., Dabney State Park, Troutdale. Raft or kayak the lower Sandy River. No rapids, just riffles as you paddle four hours along the river. Northwest River Guides provides equipment, instruction and shuttle. Inflatable kayaks available on request. Bring a sack lunch. Suitable for ages 8 and older; minors must be with an adult. Cost is $55 per adult; $40 ages 12 and younger. Advance registration is required; call 503-772-1122.
• Barlow Youth Football Fundraiser - 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Hair's My Barber Shop, 1211 S.E. Kane Drive. The barber shop will donate $5 toward Barlow youth football for every player's haircut. Call 503-667-5450.
• Hangin' With Angela - 10 a.m., Drake's 7 Dees, 16519 S.E. Stark St. Angela will show attendees how to arrange, plant, grow and take care of summer hanging baskets. Free.
• Guide Dogs for the Blind Graduation - 1:30 p.m., Guide Dogs for the Blind, 32901 S.E. Kelso Road, Boring. Blind men and women who have completed the two-week course say goodbye to their instructors and classmates and return home with their canine charges. Open to the public. Call 503-668-2100.