Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Man in serious condition after fire at Dea's In and Out

Clint Sparks was doing repairs while Dea's installed new equipment

A man who was severely burned while doing repair work at Dea's In and Out at 3:12 p.m. Monday, May 7, is in serious condition at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.

Clint Sparks was repairing a restroom floor at the restaurant, which was closed to install a grease interceptor required by the city, said Mike Sparks, Dea's general manager and Clint's uncle.

'We're not sure exactly what happened,' Sparks said, but somehow the water heater in the restaurant overheated and ignited the lacquer Clint was using to remove glue from the floor.

It sent out a fireball, severely burning Clint and burning the restroom.

Firefighters at 3:12 p.m. responded to the business, in the 700 block of Northeast Burnside Road.

Clint was transported to the hospital. Sparks said Clint will be at the burn center for about a month. He'll have to undergo grafting; his condition and treatment will be fully assessed on Monday.

Fire officials reported no estimated value or loss because of the fire. Sparks said insurance would cover the damage to the restroom; the business will have to replace most of it.

After being closed to install new equipment, Dea's officially opened for business on Friday.



Local Weather

Cloudy

62°F

Gresham

Cloudy

Humidity: 84%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 19 Oct 2014

    Rain 75°F 57°F

  • 20 Oct 2014

    Rain 64°F 52°F