Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Woman rescued from house fire

Firefighters rescued a woman from a house fire on Thursday evening.

The crew responded to the fire in a duplex in the 3000 block of Northeast 18th Court at 6:29 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 3.

They saw fire through the kitchen window and found an elderly women standing in the doorway engulfed in smoke. She told firefighters that her sister was still inside, so firefighters went in and searched for the women.

On the first floor, they found the woman in a recliner with smoke within 1 to 2 feet of the floor.

But as they were carrying her outside, her sister rushed back inside to get her.

Firefighters made sure both women safely got out of the structure. The woman carried out of the home was transported to a local hospital for elevated carbon monoxide levels.

Firefighters extinguished the fire, which began when cooking oil ignited on the stove. One of the residents tried several times to extinguish the fire, but wasn't able to. Eventually the smoke and heat drove her out and she called 9-1-1.

Damage to the home, which is worth about $90,000, is estimated at $8,000. Contents, worth an estimated $30,000, sustained $4,000 in damage.



Local Weather

Fair

63°F

Gresham

Fair

Humidity: 81%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 20 Sep 2014

    Sunny 92°F 62°F

  • 21 Sep 2014

    Sunny 89°F 58°F