Health officials advise people to avoid contact with water

Blue Lake is closed again, health officials said, due to another algae bloom that has developed in the water.

While the lake is being monitored for bacteria harmful to humans and animals, people should avoid contact with the water, officials said.

Drinking or inhaling water directly from Blue Lake is especially dangerous.

Boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping-style filters will not remove the toxins.

People who draw in-home water directly from Blue Lake are advised to use an alternative water source as private treatment systems are not proven effective in removing algae toxins, officials said.

People who eat fish from the lake should remove all fat, skin and organs before cooking, because toxins are more likely to collect in these tissues.

Eating freshwater clams or mussels from Blue Lake should be avoided.

Exposure to toxins can produce symptoms of numbness, tingling and dizziness that can lead to difficulty breathing or heart problems. Skin irritation, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting are other symptoms that require immediate medical attention.

Children and pets are particularly susceptible to lake water toxins.

Other activities at Blue Lake Park like camping, hiking, biking, picnicking, fishing and bird watching are open to visitors. Boating is safe as long as speeds do not create excessive water spray, which could lead to inhalation risk.

If people on public water systems have questions about treatment and testing, they should contact their water supplier.

For local information, call Metro Parks at 503-665-4995, ext. 0.

For health information, call the Harmful Algae Bloom Surveillance at 971-673-0400 or go to

Check to see if the health advisory has been lifted by selecting "Check current water conditions."

Call Oregon Public Health Division toll-free information line at 1-877-290-6767.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine