80s All Starz to raise funds for animal shelter
You may no longer have enough hair to sport a mullet, but that doesn't mean you can't help someone shaggier by dancing to Madonna and Prince.
That's right, to help out Multnomah County Animal Shelter, The '80s All Starz Band, a collection of local musicians, will play a benefit for homeless pets, at Persimmon Country Club, 500 S.E. Butler Road, at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
'As animal lovers we want to bring awareness to the good work the shelter does locally and raise some much needed funds,' says Roy Jacobson, a Gresham resident and one of the benefit's organizers. 'We have assembled some veteran professional musicians from various bands to donate their time and perform a fun '80s show.'
Jacobson plays bass and vocals for the All Starz and cut his teeth in the 1970s playing Chicago nightclubs and has toured nationally, and has shared the stage with Foreigner, the Atlantic Rhythm Section and Molly Hatchet.
Other All Starz include:
• Carli Halligan has been singing for decades in choirs, musicals, rock, acoustic and cover bands. She also has a successful recording career.
• Mike Mason is a powerhouse singer and a high energy entertainer who makes an audience feel like it's part of the show.
• Joe Rutledge, guitarist and vocalist, performed in the '80s and '90s with several San Francisco bands, and plays around Portland now.
• Alice Plaster, keyboardist and singer, is a classically trained pianist who mainly performs in theater productions and musical competitions. She is also a house pianist at Sandy High School. Plaster has shared the stage with bands playing light jazz, classic rock, disco and acoustic tunes.
• Drummer and singer Bill Gregory has played in several California and Washington bands and has jammed at casinos, ski resorts and the Crystal Ballroom in Portland. He adds that he always plays barefoot.
The event will also feature the '80s DJ Dynamix Crew, a dance floor with an '80s light show, conversation areas and a cash bar in the main ballroom.
Tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door. To purchase, visit 80sdanceparty.eventbrite
.com, or call Jacobson at 503-702-2754.