One hiker died and another was injured Saturday, May 24, in two separate incidents in the Mutnomah Falls area of the Columbia Gorge.

The injured hiker is identified as Dante Garcia, 19, of Portland. The name of the deceased hiker was not immediately released.

At approximately 10:15 a.m. May 24, Multnomah County sheriff's deputies responded to a report of an older male hiker having a medical emergency on the trail above Multnomah Falls, said Lt. Steve Alexander, sheriff's office spokesman.

Deputies arrived along with Corbett Fire and AMR personnel. A sheriff's deputy on duty who also was a member of the Green Hornet Trail Rescue Team ran up the Multnomah Falls trail and located the hiker.

The deputy evaluated and stayed with the man for approximately 45 minutes until AMR arrived. Shortly afterward, the man went into cardiac arrest. LifeFlight was activated as AMR and the deputy worked together to begin lifesaving efforts.

As the man was brought back down the hill, the group had to stop several times to focus on CPR and other revival efforts. But the man could not be revived and was pronounced dead when he arrived at the transport.

The Multnomah County medical examiner responded, and the hiker's name is being withheld pending family notifications.

Portland man fell from waterfall

A 19-year-old hiker was briefly knocked unconscious after falling close to 20 feet from a waterfall on the Wahkeena Falls Trail Saturday afternoon, May 24, said Lt. Steve Alexander, Multnomah County sheriff's spokesman.

Rescuers reached Dante Garcia, 19, of Portland, along with two other hikers, around 7:20 p.m. on Perdition Trail. The three were escorted off the trail, and Garcia was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

The three hikers left the Wahkeena Falls trailhead around 3 p.m. that day. Upon reaching a small waterfall, Garcia reportedly climbed up to take a picture, but lost his footing as he tried climb back down, Alexander said.

Garcia fell to the ground and was knocked unconscious. After pulling him away from the water's edge, his friends saw that Garcia was injured and disoriented when he came to, and they called 9-1-1.

The sheriff's Green Hornet Trail Rescue team and members of the Corbett Fire Department responded to the call at 5:30 p.m. None of the hikers had emergency supplies or trail maps.

The search and rescue team found the hikers by using GPS data from one of the hiker's cell phones.

Contract Publishing

Go to top