Timeline of the Troutdale Reynolds Industrial Park
The history of TRIP -
1941: The United States builds an aluminum reduction plant to boost metal production during wartime.
1946: The site is leased and then sold to the Reynolds Metal Company. Slag and other heavy-metal contaminants are a regular by product of aluminum production.
1991: The first round of closures hits the plant. Production eventually restarts in 1998.
1994: The EPA designates the plant as a Superfund site after cyanide, fluoride and other toxic hydrocarbons are discovered in soil and groundwater samples.
2000: The land is purchased by Alcoa (formerly the Aluminum Company of America), which permanently shutters the site.
2003 to 2006: Alcoa removes contaminated material from two landfills, a scrapyard and Company Lake, a manmade body of water, and constructs a groundwater extraction facility. One hundred plant buildings, totalling 1.5 million square feet, are demolished.
2007: Troutdale annexes the land and designates it an enterprise zone, which comes with tax discounts for new companies. The Port of Portland purchases the site from Alcoa and begins to regrade the land.
2010: FedEx Ground completes construction of a 441,000-square-foot distribution center.
2016: The Port is nearing completion of Phase II, which will bring nine new lots (or 178 acres) to the market.