Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Firefighters put out fire at Cedarville Inn in about 15 minutes

An alert motorist on his way to work Wednesday morning probably saved a favorite local watering hole.

Gresham firefighters responded to the report of a fire at the Cedarville Inn, 3659 W. Powell Loop, at 5:32 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 19. The small blaze was extinguished about 15 minutes later.  

Gresham Deputy Fire Marshall Robert Mottice said the fire likely began Tuesday afternoon when staff did roof repair with tar and a torch.

“Heating of the wood can get it to ignition temperature,” Mottice explained, adding that staff didn’t detect the fire when they left in the evening. “All fires start small.”

The bar was still closed Thursday afternoon as the power is off and the roof is damaged. Mottice also said the fire was in the ceiling over the kitchen, leaving soot, ash, fire debris and water in its wake.

“Right now they have a skylight they didn’t put in.” Mottice joked.

Fortunately, the fire was caught early and no one was injured. Mottice explained that structural fires like this are common with roof work and encouraged residents to take precautions and be careful with open flames and ignition sources.

— awallachy@theoutlook



Local Weather





Humidity: 87%

Wind: 6 mph

  • 7 Oct 2015

    Cloudy 66°F 55°F

  • 8 Oct 2015

    AM Clouds/PM Sun 78°F 56°F