Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Cannon awaits trial, set for March 19


Appearing by video feed before Judge Charles Bailey at his arraignment in Washington County Circuit Court last Wednesday, Timothy Cannon entered a plea of not guilty on all counts.by: TRIBUNE PHOTO: CHASE ALLGOOD - Former Hillsboro police officer Timothy Patrick Cannon of Forest Grove was indicted on 24 felony counts and two misdemeanor counts in Washington County Circuit Court Wednesday January, 30, 2013.

Attorney Ray Bassel of the Hillsboro firm Bassel & Rawls represented Cannon, who wore an orange and white striped jumpsuit as he sat for the camera.

Asked by Bailey if he understood what had occurred during the brief proceeding, Cannon replied, “Yes, sir.”

Bailey set a trial date of March 19 for Cannon, who is accused of 11 counts of attempted aggravated murder (a felony); 11 counts of unlawful use of a firearm (a felony); one count of first degree aggravated animal abuse (a felony); one count of first degree animal abuse (a misdemeanor); one count of fourth degree felony assault; and one count of harassment (a misdemeanor).

The indictment, handed down by Chief Deputy District Attorney Roger Hanlon, accuses Cannon of “unlawfully and maliciously” killing a cat the night of Jan. 20, the evening his wife called 9-1-1. It also says Cannon assaulted Lisa Cannon in the presence of the couple’s young daughter and that he subjected his wife to “offensive physical contact.”

Cannon is accused of trying to kill officers Charles McCutchen, Gary Anderson, Jenifer Smith, Ryan Wolf and Matthew Jacobsen, all of the Forest Grove Police Department; Stephen Slade of the Hillsboro Police Department; and Mark Trost, Micah Akin, Austin Allen, and Justin Snyder of the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

The indictment says Cannon also attempted to kill Robert Richards, another law enforcement officer not identified in the charging document.

Forest Grove and Hillsboro police, as well as the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, responded to the emergency at the Cannon’s home on 37th Avenue near Forest Grove High School. Cannon and an unidentified sheriff’s deputy were injured in the 80-minute incident, during which multiple weapons were discharged.

Ten officers were put on administrative leave following the shootout.