Unfortunately our website is having issues today. We are working diligently to resolve this problem. Please come back later.
Hillsboro family escapes house fire
A Hillsboro family including two cats and a bunny escaped unharmed from a house fire Tuesday afernoon.
Jeremiah Shipman, 28, told investigators he smelled smoke in the house and found melting plastic dripping from a bathroom exhaust fan. He called 9-1-1 as his 25-year old wife and their two-year old son escaped the fire unharmed. Shipman tried to fight the fire and sustained minor injuries to his hand.
According to Hillsboro Fire and Rescue, the blaze was reported to 9-1-1 dispatchers at 4:21 p.m. on March 5 and the first engine company to arrive from the Main Fire Station #1 found smoke coming from the eaves of the small home located at 111 NE Edison Street.
Firefighters brought the flames in the attic under control in less than 10 minutes. Firefighters also rescued a pet rabbit in a cage in the kitchen. Two house cats managed to escape, apparently unharmed, during the incident.
Damage estimate is $15,000. The home had no working smoke detectors and the family had no renters insurance. They will be staying with relatives for the immediate future.
Hillsboro Fire and Rescue urges all apartments, duplexes and single family homeowners or tenants to have working smoke alarms on every level of the structure and outside each bedroom. For maximum protection, install alarms in each sleeping room.
Additionally, firefighters urge renters to purchase renters insurance. A landlord's insurance only covers the repair or replacement of the structure, not the contents of the house. All renters face devastating financial losses unless they purchase their own renters insurance.