Hillsboro man burned in kitchen accident
A Hillsboro man was seriously burned in a kitchen accident Friday morning.
According to Hillsboro Fire & Rescue, just before 10:30 a.m. on March 29, firefighters were dispatched by Washington County 9-1-1 to a commercial fire at the Lions Gate Apartments in Hillsboro. When the firefighters arrived, they found an extinguished kitchen fire in one of the apartments and a resident with burn injuries.
The resident, a male in his 30's, was transported by Metro West Ambulance for treatment.
Hillsboro fire investigator John Rinier determined that the fire was caused by a pot of cooking oil left unattended on the stove. As the flaming pot was being moved from the stove, the oil spilled on the floor and nearby cabinets catching them on fire. The burns to the resident were caused by contact with the burning oil.
The injured man's wife used their fire extinguisher to put out the fire on the floor and cabinets. Damage to the kitchen is estimated at $5,000.