Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


City zeroes in on new budget

Proposed fiscal year plan would total $373.6 million


On June 18, the Hillsboro City Council will hold a public hearing on the proposed budget for the next fiscal year, which goes into effect July 1.

In the meantime, the city's budget committee is reviewing the proposed budget, which was prepared by City Manager Michael Brown to reflect priorities council members adopted at their retreat earlier this year.

The $373.6 million proposed budget is 2 percent larger than the current one. It includes $87.1 million in general fund dollars, the fund over which the council has the most control. That is 1.6 percent less than last year, a result of the successful property tax appeal by Genentech, which reduced next year's general fund by $850,000.

The budget also anticipates $9.8 million in Gain Share revenue. It is the second of a series of annual state income tax payments from Oregon to help offset the property tax breaks the city has granted businesses to encourage hiring.

The proposed budget includes $59.1 million for capital projects, including the completion of Northeast Veterans Drive, improvements to Northeast 28th Avenue, bicycle and pedestrian improvements to Northeast 37th Avenue, completion of the Crandle Reservoir, renovation of the Shute Park Library and the start of the Brookwood/Helvetica extension.

The proposed budget increases the pavement management program that helps extend the life of the city's street network to around $3.8 million. It also adds $100,000 to the public art program, which builds on earlier investments directed by the Hillsboro 2020 Vision Plan.

The budget is partly tuned by a local option levy first approved by voters in 2006 and re-approved in 2012. Roughly 90 percent of that money pays for police and fire services, with the remaining 10 percent dedicated to parks maintenance.

The June 18 council meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Civic Center Auditorium, 150 E. Main St., Hillsboro.

The full proposed budget can be found at ci.hillsboro.or.us/Upload/ViewFile.aspx?DocID=3133.




Local Weather

Cloudy

51°F

Hillsboro

Cloudy

Humidity: 86%

Wind: 5 mph

  • 24 Apr 2014

    Rain 57°F 39°F

  • 25 Apr 2014

    PM Showers 57°F 37°F