Five officers with the Hillsboro Police Department were placed on paid administrative leave in the wake of the officer-involved shooting at Orenco Station on Sept. 17.

Administrative leave is considered standard policy in cases of officer-involved shootings, and is not an indication of wrongdoing on the part of officers at the scene.

No one was hurt in the incident, which was triggered when Adam David Morse, 33, allegedly pointed a handgun at officers. Two of the officers fired their handguns at Olsen but did not hit him. A third fired on Olsen with a shotgun loaded with beanbag rounds.

After his arrest, Olsen’s weapon was discovered to be a pellet gun.

The officers who fired their handguns at Olsen were identified by the Hillsboro Police Department as David Bonn and Daniel Winter. The officer who fired the shotgun was identified as David Morse.

Officers Debra Crooks and Scott Butts were also at the scene and placed on leave, even though they did not discharge their weapons.

According to Hillsboro police spokesman Lt. Mike Rouches, the actions of all five officers involved in the incident are currently being reviewed by the Washington County Major Crimes Team — which is comprised of detectives from law enforcement agencies within Washington County — and the Washington County District Attorney’s Office.

“The officers will be interviewed and given an option to talk to counselors about the incident before returning to work,” Rouches said.

The Sept. 17 incident began at 10:05 a.m., when Hillsboro officers responded to a report of a man armed with a pistol threatening to harm himself in an apartment at 1299 N.E. Orenco Station Parkway.

When the officers arrived, they heard the suspect — later identified as Olsen — threatening to shoot them. The officers took up positions near the man’s apartment and attempted to negotiate with him. Members of the Washington County Hostage Negotiation Team were called to the scene.

According to police, several minutes later, Olsen emerged from a door into a breezeway behind the apartment and pointed what appeared to be a pistol at the officers. Bonn and Winter fired their handguns at Olsen but missed him.

Olsen retreated into his apartment after being shot at. According to the police report, approximately 30 minutes later, Olsen appeared in a front window. At that point, Morse discharged a beanbag shotgun at Olsen but did not injure him.

Olsen surrendered at 12:45 a.m. He was lodged in the Washington County Jail on charges of menacing, resisting arrest and interfering with a peace officer.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine