Failed loading XML file.
StartTag: invalid element name
Extra content at the end of the document



Colt Lyerla’s off-field behavior was causing problems for the ex-Oregon Duck tight end long before he was arrested for cocaine possession in Eugene Oct. 23.by: TRIBUNE FILE PHOTO: CHRISTOPHER ONSTOTT - Colt Lyerla wants to enter a drug treatment program and continue his football career.

Lyerla, a former star football player at Hillsboro High School, has agreed to enter a drug treatment program in hopes of having the latest charges against him dismissed.

He still hopes to be drafted by an NFL team next year after resigning from the University of Oregon football team and dropping out of school Oct. 6.

The Oct. 23 drug bust was at least the third time Lyerla has been investigated by police in the past 18 months. In the first two cases, the alleged victims declined to press charges.

Lyerla was first investigated on April 27, 2012, for allegedly pushing three men to the sidewalk on a Eugene street for no apparent reason. The three told police that Lyerla appeared to be drunk or stoned during the altercation. According to a Eugene Police Department report obtained by the Hillsboro Tribune, the three originally wanted Lyerla arrested for physical harassment. However, they changed their minds and stopped cooperating with police a few days later.

The second incident took place July 5, 2012, in Hillsboro, according to a Hillsboro Police Department report obtained by the Hillsboro Tribune. The police report shows that Lyerla was arrested after he hit someone on the head with a stool at a party in a house on Larson Road. According to witnesses, Lyerla came to the party upset because an ex-girlfriend was there, and he started fighting.

Lyerla fled before the police arrived, but was tracked down and handcuffed at gunpoint. He was released after the victim at the party refused to press charges. Lyerla was cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol, however.

On Oct. 6, Lyerla left the Ducks’ football team, citing “personal reasons.”

Lyerla had a problematic season before quitting the team. He missed the game with Tennessee, reportedly because of an illness. He was suspended for the game against Colorado for violating unspecified team rules. Coach Mark Helfrich would only described the reason for the suspension as “circumstances.”

According to Eugene police records, drug officers conducting an different investigation allegedly saw Lyerla inhaling a white power in a parked car. When approached by officers, he admitted it was cocaine.

Lyerla did not enter a plea when he was arranged on the drug charges Oct. 24, but the charges will be dropped if he is accepted into the drug treatment program and completes it.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine