Hillsboro was a lucky place for chicks and ducklings in harm’s way last week.

Hillsboro firefighters credit the quick action of an awning installation crew for minimizing fire damage and the safe evacuation of pets at a home on Northeast Second Court in Hillsboro May 1.

The fire at 3204 N.E. Second Court was reported to 911 dispatchers at 1:30 p.m. Arriving crews found smoke coming through the eaves of the two-story home and located the active fire in an upstairs bedroom at the front of house. Kirby Jones and Matt Drummond, an awning installation crew from Pike Awning Co., noticed smoke coming from the second story of a home across the street from where they were working. Their client told them no one was home across the street, but said there were animals inside the house. Jones and Drummond, finding the doors locked, entered the house through an open kitchen window and safely evacuated three dogs, three cats and two baby chicks.

Investigators determined the fire to be accidental and no injuries were reported.

Earlier in the week, a brood of 14 ducklings were rescued by fire personnel on Northeast Estate Drive in the Jackson School neighborhood after they fell into a storm drain. None of the ducklings were injured, and they were reunited with their mother.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine