Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Charcoal briquettes set Hillsboro deck on fire

Homeowners got out of the house when they heard glass breaking


by: HILLSBORO FIRE DEPARTMENT - A fire started from charcoal briquettes that were not properly disposed at this Hillsboro home on July 19. A Saturday fire on the back deck of a Hillsboro home spread to the rear of the house and the garage, causing extensive damage.

The fire began around 8:15 p.m. on July 19 in the 1800 block of Northeast 9th Avenue, officials said. The homeowners got out of the house when they heard glass breaking.

A total of 21 firefighters responded to put out the blaze. Investigators believe the fire started from charcoal briquettes that were not properly disposed.

The fire caused about $50,000 damage.




Local Weather

Fair

75°F

Hillsboro

Fair

Humidity: 34%

Wind: 8 mph

  • 20 Apr 2015

    Mostly Clear 78°F 46°F

  • 21 Apr 2015

    Partly Cloudy 65°F 41°F