County seeks volunteers for councils, committees
Washington County is seeking individuals to serve on volunteer committees and councils to advise the Washington County Board of Commissioners on matters of interest to people who live and work in Washington County.
Members are volunteers appointed by the county Board of Commissioners and in many cases, members must be residents of Washington County.
There are openings on the following:
- Aging and Veteran Services Advisory Council: Five vacancies. Personal or professional familiarity with issues facing seniors and veterans. The council advises the department on policy, programs and actions affecting the delivery of services, and generally serves as an advocate for veterans and the elderly. Contact: Janet Long, 503-846-3081.
- Behavioral Health Council: Three vacancies. This council identifies community needs, recommends funding priorities and helps select and evaluate service providers. Members including recipients of service, advocates, professionals in the field, key referral sources, provider representatives and lay citizens. Contact: Kristin Burke 503-846-4563.
- Housing Advisory Committee: Three terms beginning April 1 and running three years. Make recommendations on countywide housing policy issues as well as policies affecting operations of the countys four core housing programs. Contact: Val Valfre, 503-648-4755.
- Public Health Advisory Council: One vacancy for a health care/hospital professional. Make recommendations to commission members and the Public Health Division manager on health matters and serve as a liaison between the community and board. Contact: Tricia Mortell, 503-846-4745.
- Solid Waste Advisory Committee: Two vacancies. This committee makes recommendations on solid waste and recycling policy and programs that include safe, economical and efficient collection, storage, transportation and disposal of wastes and solid wastes and adequate standards of service. Contact: Theresa Koppang, 503-846-3663.
Applications for the vacancies are due Tuesday, March 8. Applications may be obtained at http://bit.ly/1PccYDW.