Kainoa Hanchett's 56-yard fumble return is the only touchdown in a 6-0 Glencoe victory

One big play.

Sometimes that makes the difference, which is exactly what happened for Glencoe’s football team last Friday night at Hare Field.

Playing at free safety on defense, Crimson Tide senior Kainoa Hanchett scooped up a Newberg fumble early in the first quarter and returned it 56 yards for a touchdown. That held up as the only score of the game, and some key plays late on defense allowed Glencoe to walk away as 6-0 HILLSBORO TRIBUNE PHOTO: CHASE ALLGOOD - Glencoe junior Tom Ward looks for some running room during last Friday's Pacific Conference victory against Newberg.

“I was coming up, and then I see the ball just pop out, and our player Josh Bryant kind of muffed it, and it was in the air,” Hanchett said about his game-winning play. “And then I just grabbed it and just took off.”

Glencoe improved to 2-2 overall and 1-1 in Pacific Conference action. The Tigers fell to 1-3 overall and 0-2 in the conference.

“It was a great defensive courage game on both sides of the ball, both teams,” Glencoe coach Steve Jones said. “I’m upset that we didn’t hang onto the ball — we fumbled the ball, we didn’t take advantage of opportune moments, turnovers.

“So it’s kind of like you’re glad because you got the victory, but we’ve got work to do.”

Some of those opportunities the Tide could not convert came during the second half.

Among them, once in the third quarter and once in the fourth, wide receiver Cory Frey caught third-down passes from Avery Elrod for what would have been sizeable gains, but he was ruled out of bounds each time. In the second instance, which ocurred inside the final five minutes, an inbounds catch would have given the Tide either fourth down and short or first and goal from inside the 5-yard line.

Instead, Glencoe’s defense answered the call, but there were some heart-stopping moments before it was all over. Inside two minutes to go, the Tigers tried a halfback option, when quarterback Grayson Oviatt pitched the ball to his left to Andy Tautfest, who then chucked it downfield toward a streaking Connor Powell. Powell had everyone beat, but the ball bounced off his hands and to the turf.

Newberg kept that drive alive, though, when Oviatt hit Tautfest over the middle for a fourth-down gain of 12 yards. The situation looked even more dicey for Glencoe after the Tigers earned nine more yards on a first-down reception by Matt McCarthy, but then the Tide made their last stand.

They held Newberg to no yardage on second and third down, setting up a fourth-and-one on the 29. Then, the Glencoe defense swarmed McCarthy, stuffing him at the line of scrimmage. Newberg turned the ball over on downs with 31 seconds remaining and Glencoe won the night.

“That last read, as soon as I made contact with him, I saw the ball, and everybody else saw the ball, and we just had to pile in on him, with a great team effort,” defensive lineman David Vanoudenhaegen said. “Our linebackers, our secondary and especially our defensive line, we really put the hammer down.”

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine