-- JoomlaWorks "Disqus Comments (for Joomla)" (v3.6.0) starts here --> The Tide take a 2-0 halftime lead only to fall behind 3-2 and 4-3 before tying it in the 73rd minute

HILLSBORO TRIBUNE PHOTO: WADE EVANSON - Glencoe sophomore forward Kobe Garcia fights for the ball during the Tide's game with Aloha Oct. 5 at Hare Field.When's enough, enough? I don't know, but I think the Crimson Tide boys soccer team may have thought two goals were enough at halftime of their game with Aloha Oct. 5 at Hare Field – and they couldn't have been more wrong.

Glencoe took a 2-0 lead to the locker room versus the Warriors on the backs of goals by Kobe Garcia and senior defenseman Jeremy Ravelo-Romano. But Aloha emerged from halftime with a different sense of urgency, heightened level of intensity, and ultimately a mitt-full of goals that the Tide neither expected nor were prepared to handle.

"All we talked about at halftime was to keep doing what we're doing and to prove we could hold a lead, which we didn't do the other night versus Century, and unfortunately we didn't do that tonight either," said Glencoe head coach Johathan Brubaker. "We made some defensive mistakes which are correctable. But to be able to fight back and fight back yet again to get those goals was huge."

And they did fight back.

After Aloha scored three times in the first 13 minutes of the second half, first in the 45th minute on a goal by Javier Millian, next two minutes later by Ismael Vara, and lastly in the 53rd minute when junior forward Lazar Djurajevic followed-up an Oscar Flores-Reyes save with a rebound over the Glencoe goal keeper's head, the Tide trailed for the first time in the match and were called upon to dig deep to get back in a game they probably already thought they had won.

Now trailing 3-2, Glencoe wasted little time, tying the game in the 59th minute when Garcia took a pass from Jabree Sanchez-Diaz on a breakaway, went one-on-one with Aloha goal tender Albino Ruiz and beat the junior into the right side of the net.

Aloha, unshaken, responded as well seven minutes later when Vara scored his second goal of the half when he placed a cracker perfectly over Flores-Reyes' outstretched hands and just under the cross bar to give the Warriors a 4-3 lead. But just when you thought the game had turned permanently in the direction of Aloha – the Tide got a break.

While on the offensive, Glencoe midfielder Brayn Mena was pulled down from behind in the left side of the 18-yard box and the home Tide were awarded a penalty kick, which Ravelo-Romano quickly deposited in the upper right portion of the net to tie the game 4-4 with seven minutes remaining.

"Obviously, we came out flat in that second half," said Brubaker. "Leaving the game I feel probably 60-percent positive. We probably should've won the game, but I was proud of the way we fought back, twice."

Glencoe's Garcia agreed with his coach.

"We did good in the first half, but kind of slacked off in that second half and Aloha took advantage," said Garcia. "But we kept our heads up and knew we had 20 minutes left of soccer, and we fought back."

With the loss, Glencoe fell to 2-0-2 and into fourth place in Metro League play. But despite the loss, Brubaker is pleased with the progression his team has made in recent weeks and is excited for what the remainder of the season holds.

"We've clicked as the season has progressed," said the coach. "Since the Forest Grove game we haven't lost, and I feel like we've really come together as a team and can do some good things going forward."

Glencoe travels to Liberty tonight at 7pm.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine