Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

School Notes

SUBMITTED PHOTO - Pacer racer athlete Will Johnson shreds some snow. Lakeridge boys placed third in state last year.

Skip Swap and Sale on tap

The 42nd Annual Lake Oswego Ski and Swap Sale is coming up Oct. 10.

The fundraising event, which benefits Lakeridge and Lake Oswego high schools’ ski teams, will offer attendees a chance to check out a variety of gently used ski and snowboard equipment and clothing, as well as new merchandise from area ski shops and vendors. The equipment and clothing will be on sale for well below their original retail value.

Sellers receive 70 percent of their sales, splitting the remaining 30 percent between the high school teams. Sellers can drop off their items from 4-7 p.m. on Oct. 9 in the east gym of Lake Oswego High School.

The event will be from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Oct. 10 at the east gym of Lake Oswego High School, 2501 Country Club Road. The cost to attend is $3 per person; children 12 and younger get in free.

Local teens among semifinalists for National Merit Scholarships

National Merit Scholarship Corporation representatives last week announced the semifinalists for the National Merit Scholarship Program, and several of the honorees in the 61st annual competition are locals:

  • From Lake Oswego High School, the semifinalists are: Brittany Bowling, Jacques DeBar, Crystal Liu, Casey Lum, Neeta Rao, Miles Rigby, Linn Rising, Radhika Subrahmanyan and Dan Tudorica.

  • From Lakeridge High School, the semifinalists are: Alev Brigande, Yimin Chen and Paul Dawson.

  • From Riverdale High School, the semifinalists are: Brian Gentry, Sarah Gordon and Alexander Klas.

    This school year’s competition started in 2014 when 1.5 million juniors took the PSAT, a pool from which 16,000 semifinalists were chosen. The semifinalists can continue in the competition to be among 7,400 winners. The awardees will be announced in spring 2016. A committee of college admissions officers and high school counselors choose scholarship recipients based on their academic records, difficulty level of subjects studied and the grades earned, scores from two standardized tests, leadership in school and community activities, an essay and a recommendation from a high school official.

    Dance team offering workshop

    Lake Oswego High School dancers are offering a workshop on Oct. 9 for children from preschool to eighth grade.

    The Laker Dance Team will teach participants a dance to perform during

    halftime at a football game at 7 p.m. on Oct. 9.

    The workshop will be at the Lake Oswego High School gym from 10 a.m.-1 p.m., with check-in at 9:30 a.m. and a special showcase for families at 12:45 p.m.

    Pre-registered participants will receive a T-shirt. The cost is $45 for participants who pre-register or $50 at the door. To register, visit signupgenius.com and search for the clinic using the group’s email, lodt@gmail.com.

    For more information, call Rochelle at 503-926-2469.

    Listen to the music

    Several school concerts are on tap in October.

    Lakeridge High School will have a choir concert from 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Oct. 19 at the school auditorium, 1235 Overlook Drive. Lakeridge High and Lakeridge Junior High schools’ orchestras will perform from 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Oct. 20 in the Lakeridge High auditorium. The Lakeridge High School wind ensemble will hold a chamber concert from 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Oct. 27 in the senior commons of the school.

    Lake Oswego High and Lake Oswego Junior High schools are putting on a choir concert from 7-8 p.m. on Oct. 20 in the LOHS auditorium, 2501 Country Club Road. The LO high and junior high schools also will team up for an orchestra concert from 7:30-8:30 on Oct. 21 at the LOHS auditorium.

    Lake Oswego Junior High will be putting on a band concert from 7-8 p.m. on Oct. 22 at LOHS.


    Local Weather



    Lake Oswego


    Humidity: 73%

    Wind: 8 mph

    • 27 Nov 2015

      Clear 47°F 30°F

    • 28 Nov 2015

      Sunny 45°F 28°F