Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Gas leak forces day-care center evacuation

A gas leak from a broken pipe caused an evacuation at a day-care center on Friday.

Twenty-six children and five adults had to leave the center at Lake Oswego United Methodist Church, located at 1865 South Shore Blvd., shortly before noon. They were transported to the Lake Oswego Fire Department’s station on South Shore Boulevard, where they were detained for 45 minutes until the emergency ended.

Battalion Chief Jim Doane of the LOFD said the gas leak started when workers broke a gas line inside a Quonset hut while working at the site of the former Lake Oswego armory, which is being converted into a school.

A crew from NW Natural arrived to fix the leak, and a crew from Portland General Electric came to turn out electrical power at the site. One truck from the LOFD reported to the scene.

The NW Natural crew was not able to immediately fix the leak, but it was able to put a crimp in the line and stop gas from emitting from the line.

Doane said no one in the vicinity was affected by the gas leak because doors at the site were open during construction, and gas did not accumulate in amounts sufficient to cause harm.




Local Weather

Light Rain

46°F

Lake Oswego

Light Rain

Humidity: 96%

Wind: 10 mph

  • 19 Dec 2014

    Rain 51°F 46°F

  • 20 Dec 2014

    Rain 52°F 53°F