Fire caused roof to collapse on five-bedroom, 4,000 square foot home
A fire engulfed an unoccupied two-story home near Pattulo Way and Stafford Road early Wednesday morning, causing heavy damage.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to the fire shortly after 2 a.m., when a local resident discovered the blaze and called it in. The five-bedroom, 4,000 square foot home had recently been finished and put on the market, according to TVFR, and no one was home at the time of the fire.
"When we arrived, there was a heavy fire coming from the upper story of the house," TVFR spokesperson Peter Scott said. "The bulk of the fire was on the exterior."
According to TVFR, firefighters were able to knock down most of the fire within 20 minutes, but the home was "heavily damaged."
A fire investigator was on the scene Wednesday morning, but Scott said structural issues in the home were delaying a full examination of cause of the fire.
"There are some walls on the upper story that aren't stable," Scott said. "We have to wait for it to be shored up before doing things in there."
Neighbor Mike Strub was the first person to discover the fire as he arrived home from work.
"By the time I got there, during the 911 call, the roof actually collapsed," Strub said. "I don't know if the fire fell inside then, or if it had already started within."
Strub knew the home was on the market, and thus assumed it was unoccupied.
"I looked around and didn't see anyone suspicious," he said.
Videos submitted by Mike Strub