Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Lots of smoke, but no fire at Lakeridge

LO firefighters rushed to the scene after receiving a call Wednesday, but no one was injured and nothing was damaged at the school

A malfunctioning refrigerator in the concessions stand of Lakeridge High School's lower gym pushed out a lot of smoke Wednesday afternoon, but firefighters responding to the school found no flames.

No one was injured and damage was minor — even the fridge could be repaired, according to Deputy Fire Marshal David Smith.

Three engines, a ladder truck, a battalion chief vehicle and a heavy rescue vehicle carrying about 15 firefighters rushed to the school around 1:35 p.m. That may seem like a big response, Smith said, but there are legal requirements regarding how many firefighters must be outside controlling ventilation while people are inside battling a blaze, and there need to be enough personnel to control the hoses and set up other equipment.

Smith said firefighters responded earlier this month to a possible fire in a commercial structure on B Avenue. In that situation, an HVAC unit was malfunctioning and “created a smell of smoke,” Smith said.


Local Weather

Partly Cloudy


Lake Oswego

Partly Cloudy

Humidity: 48%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 4 Oct 2015

    Clear 79°F 52°F

  • 5 Oct 2015

    Mostly Sunny 85°F 54°F