Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Ask A Cop: What happens to my dog if I get into an accident?

(A Lake Oswego police officer answers readers’ questions each week in this space. To submit a question, call staff reporter Cliff Newell at 503-636-1281 ext. 105 or send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..)

“If I get in an accident and have to be taken to the hospital, but my dog is in the car, what do you do with my dog?”

LAMOTTEIn this case, responding officers will do their best to help facilitate arrangements to have the dog taken to your residence or have the dog stay, temporarily, at the police department until a guardian can come take custody of your four-legged family member.

In the extreme case that no arrangements can be made, an officer will take the dog to the Clackamas County Animal Services Shelter, where they will have a warm place to stay and get plenty of treats until you or another member of your family can pick them up.

— Community Service Officer Matt Lamotte

If you have a specific request or see a violation occur, the Lake Oswego Police Department encourages all citizens to contact the non-emergency line at 503-635-0238 and an officer will be dispatched as soon as available.