Spark of Learning
Electrical fire forces evacuation at LOHS
Lake Oswego High School students ended the day on an incendiary note Sept. 12 when a small art room fire lead to the entire school being evacuated.
The fire was related to a power outage that occurred on Goodall Road when a tree came down and knocked out a power line, causing a power surge that set an electrical outlet on fire, said Nancy Duin, LOSD director of communications.
Around 2:25 p.m., art teacher Katie Brink noticed a bank of four lights on a single switch contained in a fireproof wall-mounted unit smoking and popping. She quickly ushered her students out of the classroom and pulled a fire alarm, directing the rest of the school to exit the building.
She did an excellent job, said LOHS principal Bruce Plato.
By the time the school day ended at 2:40 p.m., the fire had been extinguished and students were permitted to reenter the building and collect their books before heading home.
It was contained really quickly, but there was a really strong electrical smell so they had fans in there overnight, Duin said.
Plato added: It was a minor fire ... everyone got out and the switch was repaired and workable the next day.