Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Fan fire evacuates LO strip mall

by: SUBMITTED PHOTO: GERT ZOUTENDIJK - Lake Oswego firefighters arrived in time to stop a fire from spreading throughout the strip mall on Bangy Road.A fire that broke out in a bookstore at a strip mall on Bangy Road was contained by Lake Oswego firefighters on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters from the Westlake Station answered an alarm for a blaze that broke out at the Deseret Bookstore on 15010 Bangy Road. They arrived to find smoke throughout the store and heavy smoke in the bathroom. Crews evacuated the adjacent stores and businesses in the strip mall while other firefighters performed a rapid fire attack.

The fire was contained to the fan and ceiling area of the bathroom and did not extend throughout the attic. A bookstore employee used a fire extinguisher to slow down the spread of the blaze until firefighting crews could arrive. by: SUBMITTED PHOTO: GERT ZOUTENDIJK - A hole burned through the ceiling of Deseret Bookstore reveals that fan that caught fire on Monday afternoon.

"We have seen quite a few of these bathroom fires," said Gert Zoutendijk, deputy fire marshal for Lake Oswego. "Most fires are started due to lack of cleaning. The fans tend to be turned on more frequently in commercial buildings for longer periods and the dirt gets built up more easily."

LOFD officials recommend that people check out their bathroom fans on a regular basis and clean them to avoid a potential fire. by: SUBMITTED PHOTO: GERT ZOUTENDIJK - Smoke damage was heavy in the bathroom at Deseret Bookstore. Books, paintings and clothing also incurred smoke damage.A dollar loss from the fire is not available at this time. The amount could rise considerably due to paintings, books and clothing damaged by smoke.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue assisted LOFD.

Add a comment




Local Weather

Cloudy

50°F

Lake Oswego

Cloudy

Humidity: 83%

Wind: 9 mph

  • 21 Apr 2014

    Few Showers 63°F 43°F

  • 22 Apr 2014

    Thundershowers 54°F 44°F